Academic Advising

Academic advisors are the advisors to which you visit when you first enroll in college.  These advisors will help you determine which program you want to pursue then help you get your first semester class schedule prepared.

After this initial advisement, the Academic Advisor will assign you to an advisor within your program, called a Program Advisor, or simply “advisor.”

Academic advisors are located in Student Affairs and are not faculty members.

Program Advising

After students are admitted to BRTC, they must meet with their program advisors every semester prior to registration.The program advisor

  • Releases the hold that prevents students from registering each semester,
  • Guides students in choosing the best courses for their schedules,
  • Helps students plan their graduation path, and
  • Counsels students about which degree or certificate they should enter.

Program advisors are usually faculty and the individuals commonly referred to as “advisors.”


Login to myBRTC to locate your advisor’s name.

Advisors are usually faculty and their information is available in the Directory link.

You can change your advisor to a faculty member you prefer.  Simply contact Student Affairs and tell them you want to change your advisor.

Normally, if you change your major, your advisor will be changed to one of the faculty members within that major, especially if you are changing to a technical or health professions program.

However, if you are undecided, pursuing basics, or declare the Associate of Arts degree, any number of general education faculty may be your advisor.

Before you register for classes, you must visit with your advisor.  A hold is on your myBRTC account that will prevent you from registering for classes.  Your advisor is the only one who can lift that hold.

If your current advisor is unavailable, you can visit with any other faculty member.  Please note that if you are enrolled in a specialized degree such as welding, nursing, criminology, respiratory, or other technical or allied health field, you would be best to visit with another instructor in that field, if possible.  However, any faculty member can help you work on your schedule and plan your semester.

Generally, part-time, also called adjunct, faculty do not advise students.   However, you are certain welcome to visit with an adjunct faculty member about your schedule and your plans for graduation.  To remove holds and officially advise you, however, you will have to visit with a fulltime faculty member.

For More Information