Act 943, passed by the Arkansas Legislature and signed by Governor Asa Hutchinson during the 2015 Legislative Session, directed “the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board to develop an action plan to address the prevention of unplanned pregnancy.”
Black River Technical College provides information and support to meet this requirement through a variety of services:
- Programming to support this initiative provided to new students and transfer students at orientation sessions for the fall and spring semesters on the Pocahontas and Paragould campuses
- Access to a Mental Health Counselor can be obtained through the Director of Student Development to meet with students on both campuses to offer professional counseling and personal support. Resources and counseling are confidential.
- Collaboration to offer resources and assistance at low or no-cost with
- Randolph County Health Department in Pocahontas
- Greene County Health Department in Paragould
- BRTC Career Pathways program provides assistance to parents, offering advising and personal support, gas cards, and child care reimbursement to qualifying students.
- Director of Student Development – Dane Dillion assists students with personal support and referrals to resources on the BRTC campuses and in the community.